Unfortunately, for many of the signs we do, the City of San Antonio requires and charges for a Permit.  Fortunately, Signs of San Antonio can facilitate the process for you and ensure you’re in compliance.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • ALL non-electrical signs greater than 15 square feet (attached to wall/fence or free-standing pole/monument sign) require a permit with the exception of:
    •Temporary signs/banners (e.g. Coming Soon; Sale; etc.)
    •Real estate signs no greater than 4’x8’ (e.g. For Sale; For Lease; etc.) installed on the property in question
  • ALL electrical signs require a permit.
  • Re-facing existing signs require a permit.  Even if the new sign copy is identical to the old sign it’s replacing.
  • The total area of all attached signs shall not exceed 25% of the building façade as viewed from one direction.
  • Permits can only be secured by licensed Installers (i.e. Master Electricians; Master Sign Electricians; Commercial Sign Installers).  The City does not allow individuals to pull their own permit.
  • Permit fees vary accordingly to size and quantity but will generally run about $350 for non-electrical signs. This includes a $75 “review” fee which is non-refundable.
  • Individuals that choose to install their own signs without securing a permit are sent a notice by the City and the permit fee doubles.  In this event, the individual will still need a licensed sign installer to pull/process the permit.
  • Signs of SA can only process the permits for the City of San Antonio.  For other municipalities, it is the customer’s responsibility (e.g. City of Alamo Heights, Windcrest, etc.).
  • Permits requested in historic districts have specific regulations and may have additional fees, requirements, and may not be approved.  (A general rule of thumb is if the streets signs are brown where the sign is going, it’s a historic district.)
  • The City now requires the property owner’s signature (or an authorization letter) on the permit application.  Signs of SA has authorization letter forms and handles this as part of the permit process.